The former site of the German Police Headquarters in the old city area of Qingdao was started in 1904 and completed in 1905. The main entrance is located at the southeast corner of the compound, facing south towards Qingdao Bay. The facade is asymmetric with the east wing higher than the west. In the center of the German Police Headquarter complex is a belfry with a small multistep gable at each side decorated in brick-laid patterns. The former site of the German Police Headquarters is constructed of red brick, Mt. Laoshan granite, and re-enforced concrete. Crowned with a slopping roof of red Terra-cotta tiles as typical German Renaissance architecture, the building resembles a typical European township building of the 19th century. According to records, it was designed and constructed by the Kiaochow (Jiaozhou Bay) Administration of Construction.
The Christian Protestant (Lutheran) Church, located in the old city area of Qingdao, was built by German people at the beginning of the 20th century. The church began its construction in 1908 and was completed in 1910. The photograph of inaugural opening ceremony was taken on October 23, 1910.
Badaguan Scenic Spot is made up of eight streets named after great military forts of the ancient times. It was originally a residential area for the German when Qingdao was a German protectorate (1897-1914). Each street is lined with a single species of trees, so their names are colloquially known by the trees lining around. Along the streets are houses built in a variety of European architectural styles. Badaguan is bordered on the west by No. 1 Bathing Beach and on the east by No. 3 Bathing Beach. Badaguan is a popular destination for wedding photography.
Next to Badaguan is a large rocky outcropping on which a stone Russian villa was constructed. Built in 1906, Huashi Lou combines Greek, Gothic, and Gothic influences throughout its five storey hulk. It is constructed from marble and stone and is equipped with a large turret and a multicolored outer face which inspire the local nickname for the structure, “Colorful Rock Building”. It was also German governor's villa for hunting.
The former site of Bismarck Barracks is now located in the campus of Ocean University of China. The Bismarck Barracks (“10,000 Year Barracks”) are constructed of brick, Mt. Lao granite, and steel in an “工” (Chinese character ) shaped plane layout. The Barracks have three stories above ground with a single level ment. The facade looks solemn and elegant with yellow walls rising above a solid granite . The Qingdao Bismarck Barracks were on construction from 1903 to 1909 under the technical direction of Lothar Marquez, a German architect during the German Occupation. The Barracks were built to initially house German Troops during the early German occupation. In 1945, it was home to the U.S. 22nd Marines. Currently, it houses the “College of China Fisheries” and the “OUC Aquatic Museum” at Ocean University of China.
Bismarck Battery was founded in 1899 by German army, and now it develops into Battery Heritage Site. It was one of the nine permanent batteries founded by German army that the military command located in at that time, so it was once called "The Most Important Battery of Qingdao" by German army.
copyright : IH