Qingdao is well-known for its six beaches, which are sheltered and equipped with shark nets, lifeboat patrols and lifeguards. Stone Old Man Beach is one of the largest bathing beaches in Qingdao city. The name refers to a 17-meter-high stone pillar about 100 meters from the shore. It is shaped like an old man sitting in the blue sea, accompanied by a beautiful myth and legend. This stone has become an important symbol of this scenic spot and also a famous sightseeing spot in Qingdao.
Mt. Laoshan, located in the southeastern coastline of the Shandong Peninsula, is the most attractive scenic spot in Qingdao.The mountain is culturally significant due to its long affiliation with Taoism and is often regarded as one of the "Cradles of Taoism". It is the second highest mountain in Shandong province and the highest coastal mountain in China, well known as "The First Fairy Mountain at Sea."
Zhanqiao Pier, established in 1892, is at the southern shore of Qingdao, closing to Zhongshan Road. This 440 meters (1,443.6 ft) long strip, stretching into the sea, was the first wharf at Qingdao. An octagonal pavilion, the Billowing Back and Forth Tower (Huilan Pavilion) constructed in 1930, stands at the end of the pier. The pier itself was initially used for military transportation. In 1891, the Qing Empire decided to make Qingdao (Jiao'ao) a defense against naval attack and began to improve its fortifications. Imperial German naval officials observed and reported on this activity during a formal survey of Jiaozhou Bay in May 1897. Subsequently, German troops seized and occupied the fortification. They landed from Zhanqiao pier and frequently enlarged it later. Zhanqiao Pier is viewed as the official symbol of Qingdao by the many as it is made more famous by being placed on the label of the Tsingtao Brewery beer bottles and the front of cans.
Qingdao Railway Station was built in 1899 ans designed by German. In the years leading up to the 2008 Summer Olympics, the station underwent a significant renovation in order to accommodate increased passenger traffic for the Olympic period and afterwards. The new station is an example of German architectural traits incorporated into a Chinese-designed building, which is consistent with many structures in Qingdao.
St. Michael's Cathedral was built in 1932-1934. It was the seat of the Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Qingdao. It is located in the oldest part of Qingdao on the east side of Zhongshan Road. Built by German missionaries, the cathedral stands at the top of a hill in the center of the old German-built part of the city. It is the largest example of Romanesque Revival architecture in the province, resembling a German cathedral of the 12th century. St. Michael's Cathedral is the product of a strong German presence in Shandong Province in the 19th and early 20th centuries. In the mid-19th century the European powers forcibly opened China to foreign trade.
As the scientific and cultural institution directly subordinate to municipal party committee and municipal government, Qingdao Archives has collected and copied over 800,000 pages of profile, 8000 photos, 300 former maps and over 440 minutes film profiles. The working staff successively collected and copied 150,000 pages of profile, 3000 photos, over 300 maps and 204-minute news&films for German-related profiles, which reflected two invasions launched by Japanese army to Qingdao and detailed the political, economic and social situation of Qingdao in 1914-1945.
Founded in 1924, Qingdao Library grew out of Public Popular Library of Jiao'ao Commercial Port. It is the important intellectual information hub as well as the of spiritual civilization construction. Meanwhile, it also provides public benefit and academic service for the scientific decision-making of all-level party and government offices, organizations and enterprises. The library collects approximately 1.23 million books and 100,000 foreign language literature, among which there are over 30,000 profiles in connection with Japanese and German’s invasion.
Qingdao Posts and Telecommunications Museum is the former site of Jiao'ao German Reich Post Office. This building was founded in 1901 as the earliest existing business building of posts and telecommunications in Qingdao. Now the museum is a cultural and tourist site with multi-function of modern industrial heritage, German-style architecture, posts and telecommunications museum, popular science as well as patriotism education . The museum collects over 1000 cultural relics and 2000 historic photos, presenting the centenary development of posts and telecommunications to the tourists with the thread of history.
copyright : IH